Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Domestic Violence Walk


Family Services of Southeast Texas invites you to
stamp out violence in our community by supporting the

• WALK AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE •

 Saturday, June 13, 2009
 8:30am to Noon
 Crockett Street - Downtown Beaumont

Join us in this non-competitive walk against the devastating effects of domestic violence in our community.
Everyone can take steps to end violence! Bring your whole family to participate!
There will be free t-shirts, drinks, snacks, bracelets and face painting. For more information on the event and volunteering, please call Corell at 833-2668 ext. 104.
According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, in the time it takes you to read this flyer, a victim of domestic violence will be abused. Thank you for supporting Family Services in our efforts to break the cycle of domestic violence in Southeast Texas!www.familyservicessetx.org

2 comments:

  1. I have such a strong opinion about women whom have been physically and emotionally abused. I feel these victims are often socially isolated and they most time live in fear. The help that's available they may feel reluctant to seek because of the embarrassment. That is why it is so important to have support from close friends and family during these crises. I must have been a victim of abuse in another life because I have always been passionate about supporting women in these situations. I had a very dear friend that was in an abusive relationship. She passed away, and after her passing it was later revealed that she was a victim of domestic violence; unfortunately some of the abuse she endured weighed heavily to the cause of her death. It's hard to describe the feelings I had after discovering this-- I saw signs but wasn't positively sure because of the reasons she gave about her injuries didn't relate to someone being abused. I questioned her a few times, and of course she denied it. I failed to ignore my intuition and only wish I would have been more persistent in order for her to share this traumatic situation with me.
    Some time ago I started working on this long-awaited project regarding domestic violence. The mission is to bring public information to the reality of what these women are experiencing with hopes of family and friends support to seek help that is needed in order to remove them from an unhealthy relationship before it's too late. I pray for the motivation to one day complete this project because it is something I feel so... strongly about-- I must fulfill this desire.
    I'm currently living overseas and regret not being able to be apart of this walk. I tend to surround myself with people who share similar interests. I will inform my members of Yo-Love Book Club to partake in this event on behalf of my absence. We have a very positive group of sisters, and I'm sure it would be an honor for them to participate. Please keep me informed on any information regarding this topic. Upon my return back to the states I would like to meet with you Michelle to discuss some ideas in regards to this topic.

    Sincerely,

    Yolanda Bessard

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing and do keep in touch...

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete