Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Changing of the Guard




The Southeast Texas Association of Black Journalists (SETXABJ) elected new officers on Friday for the first time in its five-year history. I founded the organization along with Gordon Williams in September of 2004 and I have served as president ever since so it was definitely time for a change. But it's a bittersweet moment for me because I truly enjoyed leading this organization. I'm very proud of what we've accomplished in the past five years. We've raised thousands of dollars for scholarships for Lamar University students and developed a mentoring program. Thanks to the board members and officers who served with me--Camille Briggs, Natalie Roberts, Jackie Simien, Gordon Williams, Sheldra Brigham, Nicole Murray, and Tracie Payne. Congrats to the new board--Sheldra Brigham, president; Nicole Murray, vp/broadcast; Kristyn Hunt, secretary; Tracie Payne, treasurer, and Marquel Sennet, parliamentarian. I know you'll do great things!Thanks also to all of the members. We couldn't have done it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment