Saturday, May 3, 2014

Jaguar Nation says goodbye to a legend 

Jaguar Nation said goodbye to one of its own today, the legendary Dr. Isaac Greggs who served as director of the Human Jukebox for more than 36 years. Band Director Lawrence Jackson said Dr. Greggs gave his "best years" to Southern, retiring at age 77.  It was a wonderful celebration of his life--the musician, the family man, the mentor, the teacher, and the friend. One of his sayings everyone repeated was "It's gonna be alright. You'll be alright by Wednesday." I have fond memories of Dr. Greggs when I was at Southern. He always greeted me with a warm smile and a hug and some of my best times on campus were enjoying the band. I interviewed him last year when he was inducted into the Louisiana Black History Hall of Fame.  My photographer and I laughed because he kept telling him to "take our picture."

We'll miss you Doc. Thank you for everything you did for Southern University. You will always be a part of Jaguar Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment